Saturday, February 13, 2010

Open Mic Night

So about a week and a half ago, I went to Open Mic Night at Southwestern. I meant to write about it right away, but I've been so busy! I guess that's what happens when you're a full-time student, haha...

Anyway, I expected it to last maybe two hours. I was WRONG!! It was three and a half!! But it truly just flew by like nothing. Who knew there were SO MANY talented people at our school?! And so many who were willing to share those talents with the rest of us?! There was such a great variety of acts -- bands, individuals, rock music, folk music, Christian music, original music, spoken word poetry and readings from Scripture, stand-up comedy, sing-a-longs, hip-hop dancing, beatboxing, a video, and even a response to one of my blogs! It really was a great night.

About a quarter of the school showed up -- a great turnout, I think!

I have to say that I was amazed by the comraderie and sense of community I noticed among the student body. Everyone was so supportive, eager to encourage, and everyone genuinely enjoyed each other. I felt like I got to know my fellow students a lot better, just by seeing them share their hearts onstage. I really love the student body here! I think we have a really special group here. I'll tell ya, the cheering and laughing got so loud at one point, I couldn't help but think to myself, "Whoever says Christians aren't fun is CRAZY!!"

I am looking forward to, hopefully, many more Open Mic Nights in the future! And I'm looking forward to many more of you coming to share your gifts with the rest of us!! I'm thinking of drama, mime, drawing, scatting, rapping -- who knows? The possibilities are endless!

Special thanks to Heather Cole for initiating Open Mic Night, and to Ben Jimenez for running sound!

*SWCgirl*

No comments:

Post a Comment